Thursday, March 13, 2014

WTF is DST (Daylight Savings Time)

I was caught off guard Sunday morning when I woke up to find all my clocks were wrong. Had I been abudcted by aliens?!

Nope. It was Daylight Savings Time. I guess when you don't work outside your home, or watch local news, you don't get reminded about DST. I'm suprised my dad didn't call to remind me. It's been 4 days of this new time change and I'm not any closer to getting used to it. 

I was up til 2...again. My baby's schedule is all messed up too. I had finally gotten him back on track with his sleeping schedule (our move to Denver totally threw him off). It took me about 5 months to get him sleeping through the night again. 

Thankfully, he's still sleeping all night, but his naps aren't happenin'. 

Yesterday, he missed his first nap, and it was 7 by the time he fell asleep. He slept until 9:30. 
That's about the time we've been eating dinner. So of course if we're not eating dinner til almost 10, we're not going to be ready for bed at 10.

We ate some dinner, and played til about 11:15 and luckily he started getting tired again. I put him back to sleep and came to my office (it's my son's playroom, I just put a little desk in the corner) and decided to research what this whole DST was all about. 

And I didn't get a clear understanding. In fact, I'm even more confused now. 

Apparently there's a debate on who really discovered or created DST. Some say it was Benny Franklin (I give most people nicknames) and George V. Hudson. And the Romans used some sort of water clocks to get the most use out of the sun. 

Here's the best explination I could find: 
                                         


So what did I learn?

It's called Daylight SAVING Time. Not Savings. 

While this new found knowledge might not help me adjust any easier to Daylight Saving Time, at least I'll know the correct way of saying it. Thanks again, internet! 

And here's another video just for fun. I know, I need a social life.



                                     




No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like this post? Share it!