Saturday, April 12, 2014

It's Okay to not know Your Life's Purpose



When it comes to getting things done, there are two kinds of people.

Doers and thinkers.

 For example: say there's people playing double dutch. The doers would just jump right in, not caring that they have no clue what they're doing or not caring if they're even doing it right.

The thinkers would first google things like, what is double dutch, when was it created, who created it, why did they create it, should I play double dutch, what are the percentage of people who are happier after double dutch, etc. Then once they think they've got it all figured out, they might Youtube a few videos of real people double dutching.

I am a thinker.

Not like a logical thinker, more like philosopher thinker. It's been an issue my whole life. I would spend so much time thinking and over thinking.

And guess what...I would never get anywhere!

I would beat myself up about all the time, feeling I was wasting time by not taking action.

Not taking action is actually just another way of taking action.

Maybe if I had kept up with my blog 3 years ago, I would already have written my first book. But then I think about all the stuff I've learned in between.

 I'm not the same person I was 3 years ago.

There's a lot of pressure to start your life young and to accomplish and succeed and to have it all figured out.

I vividly remember  in my senior year in high school- my guidance counselor was helping me sign up for college (which I hadn't even planned on going) and she asked me what do you want to major in?

What? I don't know what you're saying.

What do you want to do for the rest of your life?

OMG my anxiety was through the roof.

I'm pretty sure I had a  massive panic attack.

How the heck was I supposed to know what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, I had just gotten my drivers license!?

That question plagued me for the next 10 years. I was so overwhelmed by the idea that I never gave it any more thought.

During my career as a massage therapist, I went through a lot of phases.

I kept looking for the elusive life purpose.

I thought it would be cool to work in a laid back environment where I could walk around barefoot and  be my own boss, so I became a massage therapist.

Then I had this idea that massage wasn't enough so I wanted to become an acupuncturist. So I got a job working for my acupuncturist.

I loved video games so I got a job at Gamestop.

I always wanted to be a comedian so I joined a burlesque troop and did comedy. (My sister called me stripper clown).

Then I thought I wanted to be a cosmetologist, so I went to beauty school. Then I became a beauty school drop out cuz it turned out I really didn't like it that much.

A few years later, I remembered how much I enjoyed making and creating jewelry so I started a jewelry business.

You should see my resume! 

Those were all my hobbies and interests. But they weren't really my passion. I kinda had an idea what my real passion was but I wasn't totally sure.

But I had some incredible experiences during those 10 years of not knowing my life purpose.

What I was really looking for was an outlet to be me.

I was looking for myself. Those things were just one aspect of me. I used to feel like such a failure that I didn't have it all figured out. I would literally lay awake in bed all night trying so hard to figure out what i was supposed to be doing.

What does anyone really know about themselves in their 20's?

Not much. Not even in your 30's. Maybe a little more in your 40's? But then 50 comes along and you're like wtf. I still don't have a clue.

First, let's let go of the pressure of  finding your life purpose.

One of my most influential teachers, Christie Marie Sheldon describes you life purpose as that which makes you happy.

Our real purpose is for us to be so full of life and expressing joy and love everyday. I'll explain why she was so influential in another post. Ok so instead of asking yourself whats my life purpose, ask what makes me happy.

And what can I do everyday to make myself happy. When you're happy, your happiness is contagious.

As light workers (people who's purpose is to help spread the truth of love) we can sometimes get so confused as to how were supposed to help people and how to live that purpose.

You don't have to have a special job description to help people.

A few weekends ago at the I Can Do It Denver conference, Sonia Choquette demonstrated this beautifully. She pulled this girl on stage and asked her what she wanted to do with her life. The girl replied "I want to help people". Sonia asked her how. "I want to be a physical therapist". Basically Sonia was telling the girl that she didn't have to be anything other than herself to help people. So she had the girl sing a song and made us all laugh and she asked if the girl helped us and everyone agreed that she had.

The moral of the story is that we should help people every day. To be the best person we can be everyday. And be patient knowing that in time, you'll figure it out.

Don't be an a** hole in the meantime while trying to "find your purpose".

Smile at strangers, bless people instead of judging them. Be kind.

Trust me, you'll figure out what you're supposed to be doing when you're ready to do it.

You can also head over to The Passion Test. They have a quick test that gives you some guidance.

Love, light and fairy wings.

-Felicia G





No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like this post? Share it!